If you are contemplating using radio to deliver your advertising message, we'd like to help you make informed decisions. Here are some of the advantages for using this popular medium. Americans are on the move, they are listening to radio in their cars. Radio is considered the "mobile medium."
1Interesting Radio Facts
- 541,000,000+ radios in use.
- 5.6 radios per household
- Every car comes with a radio as standard equipment.
- Have you ever thought about how an automobile is a radio on wheels?
- Americans spend more time listening to radio than any other medium 6am-6pm
- Radio gives you the opportunity to effectively target your message to a specific consumer.
- Radio is a sound solution as media continues to fragment with increasing cost.
2Highlights of the Arbitron National In-Car Study
- Americans are in their cars an average of 15 hours per week.
- The average commute to work is now 51 minutes round trip.
- 39% say they spend more time in the car now than a year ago.
- The greatest percentage of increase in time-spent-commuting is often in small and medium size markets.
- In-car listening averages 2 hours and 12 minutes weekdays, and 2 hours and five minutes weekends.
- Since 1999 in-car radio listening has increased.
- 43% say they leave their car radio set to one station.
- Almost all in-car listening is to pre-set stations. People rarely change their pre-sets.
3In-Car Listening Facts
Arbitron is the ratings firm that surveys and analyzes radio usage. A recent national Arbitron sponsored In-Car Study found that 96% of those who have driven or ridden in a car in the past month have used the car radio. More than 80% of 35-64 aged listeners say they spend most of their time with radio.
Radio's audience size continues to grow. Not only with in-car listening, but at the office too.For the advertiser as well as the listener, radio is everywhere reaching virtually everyone. Radio works 24/7, 365 days a year. Think about it, how many businesses do you visit where a radio is playing.
A distinctly user-friendly medium, radio gives advertisers the speed, flexibility, and immediacy needed to compete and excel in today's highly competitive and oft-times cluttered marketplace.
4Why use radio to advertise instead of TV?
If you're a Fortune 500 company, it makes sense to market your products and services on TV. Smaller businesses don't have the budget to spend on network television advertising. And, though cable television advertising is affordable, your ad reaches a much smaller market.
Radio has always been a "free" medium giving even the smallest stations a broad audience. Whether your business is a small corporation or a one-person-operation, radio advertising offers tremendous reach. Don't discount the B2B factor. Radio advertising can help plant the seeds of awareness in potential clients. The vast majority of radio listeners tune in from two places: in the car and at the office.